WALT WHITMAN’S LEAVES OF GRASS CUE NOTES FOR FITZ, in cutting the A and B rolls
Numbered tapes on the work print refer to the instructions below:
1. In the original roll, the opening title “Walt Whitman’s Leaves Leaves of Grass “is to be printed over the second piece of film in original roll- the scene of some grass. The total length is to be exactly the same as the length of the openingtitle in the work print.
(Ask Line re: whether to cut C roll to achieve a dissolve at end of this, into next scene.
THIS SHOT IS ON SPECIAL ROLL.
2. This 12 frame tiny scene on work print should have been spliced at the TAIL END of this full scene. Make the original match as tho the workprint had been thus corrected.
3. The front end of Line title about 24 frames, is upside down. Just pretend it is right side up.
4. Altho the coding is correct on these scenes, you cannot use -the code numbers to match the scenes, as otherwise there would not be enough on the original to make the head end dissolve. There is plenty of extra frames on the tail end.
5. Boy in daisies is in SHRUNKEN FILM ROLL. If it is too short, make up frames either on scenes ahead (horse and stable) or on the following scenes.
6. Small boat scene, if too short, make up frames on next scene or as soon as possible.
7. On this sceves (big waves) and on the next few scenes, you may be short several frames, so make them all up on the very long sunset ocean scene (deep red color) which follows soon.
8. Close measuring… or might have to make up following scenes. plenty on scenes ahead.
9. Beginning of scene is slightly short by code marks, but plenty on end to make it up.
10. THIS SCENE original ON SPECIAL ROLL. (SNOW)
12. THIS SCENE (MILKING COW) IS IN SPECIAL ROLL. SEE NOTE BELOW
12A THIS IS A HORSE SCENE. IN A YELLOW BOX.
I3. Violets…not coded in copy. Go by length.
14. Double coded.do not go by codes…go by length
15. On shrunken roll – woman and chicks
16 On shrunken roll- close of above
17 On shrunken roll- girl picking berries
18 On shrunken roll- close of above
19. Go By measurement only
20. Go By measurement only FRONT ST. SIGN
21 Go By measurement only ferry boats or ships
22 uncoded…Go By length, as short on end frames- boats
23… plenty frames on top end for rear end pilot
24 any short frames make up on last gull scene…
25… uncoded… go by measurement
26. I believe the action begins close ro red cross on orig2v\
27. On this scene of music notes we want to begin a complicated
series of dissolves. The tail end of Music Scene dissolves into blossoms with a 96 frame total dissolve. Then immediately the same blossoms start a 48 frame(total) dissolve into willow tree. Then the normal dissolves follow as marked on film.
Check edging marks as no coding here.
28. Short a frame an tail end….lots on head end.
29. scenes do not match…. just go by measurement. (an actual scene has been substituted.)
30. This scene has two sets of coding. Use AA coding.
31. Fitz, we are eliminating this girl scene in our original. Instead, we have substituted a scene (man hanging out clothes) of equal length, which comes AFTER a series of closeup faces.
There is no commentary (only music) thruout this whole area, so we don’t need to worry about matching the commentary.
The exact wequence that we desire thru here, is as follows:
a. Chinese boy, ending with a 12 framedissolve into 24 fr. diss
b. Mexican boy close up, ending with 24 fr diss. into 24 fr diss
c. Italian boy, close up. We want you to make this Italian boy 24 frames longer than the present W/P, so that you can use this extra 24 frames to put a 24 frame diss at end of Italian boy, into a 24 frame dissolve of man hanging out clothes. GET BACK INTO PICTURE SYNC with the begining of scene of shoe-shining man.
32. From here on, get back into picture sync.
33. The following scene (girl bouncing ball) is a frame or so short Make up for it on this scene (3 kids in doorway.)
34. If this scene is short make up on following as it has a lot .
35. Lincoln and Negro boy
36. Male up on scene ahead…
37. This scene was cut by mistake in original film. if you want to substitute a new scene we have plenty in special fire box. Maybe it would not show being spliced with black leader? you be the judge.
THERE ARE MANY FIRE SCENES. THY ARE ALL CODED. THEY HAVE BEEN CUT UP AND REEDITED but by using the code numbers you can get the original to match the VP.
a frame or so difference on scenes within the fire sequenceswill not matter just so the sequence ends in sync.
38. Fire sequence ends here. Exact sync must start again here. The scene right after this is not a fire scene, but a sunset scene of a Whitman statue.
39. The book scene in Orig is different than the one in W/P. Just match the exact length.
40. The music scene in Orig is different than the one in W/P? also. Just match the exact length. Music is right side up;
keep it so.
41. Scene short on end…so allow from front end…fine grass
42. Not coded…go by length …book before sea background
43. do not go by code marks as want the dissolve at end of this scene. …Walt Whitman statue…dissolving bilk° bldg,„ go by length.
46. Building short on rear so allow from head….
47. Measure this sunset grass scene from rear end…. disregard
and make up couple frames for following sunset
on this scene
48. Harbor, grass and swan in special
49. go by measurement.